An Antidote for Anxiousness



Hey there!  How was your day?  If you had some anxieties in it - I hope this post will help by giving some encouragement on how to deal with current and future anxiousness!

Let me tell you a little story!   I was told a story that encouraged me and I'm now retelling it in my own version. ;)

He had a flight.  The flight was his transportation to a very important event in his life and he was running late.  He stared at the line of people needing to get on the tram that takes you to the gates and his anxiety level started to rise.  All those people didn't know and probably didn't care how important this life event was that he NEEDED to get to.  He couldn't shrug it off and just wait, and yet all he could do it seemed was to get more anxious than ever.  Tell tale signs of his anxiety started to show.  He started nervously playing with the tag on his carry-on, his leg was twitching more intense with every minute that passed by.  He felt helpless and all sorts of emotions started to flood him that he tried to keep inside. 

 Well, to some it might have gone un-noticed, but to the man behind him, it didn't.  The man behind him said in a calm voice, "What flight are you on?"  He replied with the flight info. To which to other man answered, "You'll make your flight." with a reassuring voice.  He really wanted to believe him, but the anxiety was too strong to do so.  All he could say was, "I hope you're right."  in a deflated tone as he watched the tram fill up with people and leave without him on it. The man behind him replied, "You don't trust me?"  He replied, "I'm not sure I can, but I want to."  Man #2 continued, "Will you choose to trust me enough to let me go in line in front of you?"  He thought "What a ridiculous question!  I need this place in line!"  But he found himself actually saying with a defeated shrug, "Sure, why not - don't think it could really get any worse anyways." Little did he know, that as he let the other man in front of him, the next sentence that he heard from the him would forever impact his life,  "You'll make it, because I'm a captain, and the pilot of your flight."  

Grin.

Do you have moments where anxiety takes over?  Maybe you feel helpless?  Do you feel like maybe you're "running late" to some big life events?  Or maybe it feels like you'll never get to your "destination" or "goal" in certain aspects of life?  Times of anxiety hit us all, but it's what you DO in that moment it hits that holds the key to peace - God's peace.  The antidote to anxiousness is making sure that Christ is Captain and your pilot (not yourself!) and ALL-OUT trusting Him in every situation.  Your Captain truly is in "line" with you in life and should be your life-line every moment of every day.  When you claim that truth and give Him preeminence ("first place in line") - anxiety won't have a grip or any place in the situation. 

 God's been teaching me that recently and I'm being a slow learner honestly.   Truly though, it IS that simple.  When you give anxiety first place - you take God out of the equation and anxiety literally will flood you and sweep you away.  When you give God first place - you take anxiety out of the equation and the Almighty, All Knowing, All Powerful, One True God will "sweep you off your feet" in peace that passes ALLLLLLLLLLLL understanding. His timing is perfect and he's the most skilled pilot in the Universe! True story.

"Be careful (anxious) for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.  Those things which ye have both learned, and received and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you." - Philipians 4:6-9

"Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid Thine hand upon me.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.  Whither shall I go from Thy Spirit? or whither shall I flee from Thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, Thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, Thou art there.  If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;  Even there shall Thy hand lead me, and Thy right hand shall hold me." - Psalms 139:5-10

Blessings to you friend!  May we all put Christ first and live the Kingdom life He has designed for us even now, this very minute - anxiety free!
~Bri


Comments

Popular Posts