An Antitode for Worry


Hello there!  I'm excited to share this post with you today!

Worry - definitely a pretty common emotion isn't it? Some of us let it be our backseat driver and yet others of us let it be our chauffeur. Neither is good. Let me just say that worry is NOT a good driver. You know those stickers on the back of business vehicles that say “Call 1-800-xxx-xxxx to let me know how I’m driving!”? Well, worry would definitely be fired from all the bad driving reports it would get. Do you want worry driving you? Yeah - me neither. So, let's do something about that shall we? ;)

I was worrying about some things today, some life things, (decisions, the present, the future, the evil in the world etc.) were weighing on my heart and mind and I was feeling down with worry. God sent encouragement though as I heard a sermon by Jack Graham and the truth he shared convicted me and yet grabbed my heart in a big hug at the same time. I thought I’d share some of the things that he shared that had such an impact on me. He shared that worry is a toxic emotion - an emotional strangulation.  Whoa.  Kinda puts worry into a more serious perspective doesn't it?!  It's easy to just write off worry as "one of those life things" you have to get through, but truly worry is NOT of God.  Worry can tend to be a natural emotional response to things, but it truly is our choice what we do with that emotion as to how it ultimately affects us.

Mr. Graham also shared this sentence about worry - this sentence is what really impacted me the greatest and continues to.  He said, "Worry is an insult to God."  WHOA. I know it's not an earth shattering, brand new concept, but it's truth grabbed me at my core.  When I worry - I am NOT trusting and by not trusting - I am not acknowledging and claiming the Sovereignty of God over my current situation, and not claiming His power and love over every detail of my life is truly an insult to Him. 

I don't want to insult God - do you?  After hearing that sentence I've made it a point to remind myself of that every time I start to worry.  I choose to completely trust my Beloved King with whatever thought brought that worry.  In doing that - I'm laying the situation at the feet of Jesus and acknowledging that He is all powerful, all knowing, and ever present and I am His and then I'm at rest, because I'm not trying to take control, but am giving the wheel to Jesus. May His truth be what drives me!

"Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you!"
1 Peter 5:7 

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." 
Philippians 4:6-7

  "Commit (roll off onto) thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass." - Psalm 37:5 

 "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." - John 16:33

All this to say - don't worry - be happy! *wink* Truly though friend, God is in control of your moments and days and He's with you. Will you trust His hand and His heart?
-Bri :) 

P.S. I might have shared these lyrics before - but I will again! Lol!
This song blesses me! It's called "Not Gonna Worry" by the Gaither Vocal band.

"I'm not gonna worry, I'm not gonna fret.
I'm not gonna speculate or contemplate what hasn't happened yet.
I'm not gonna worry, He's got the whole things in His hands.
I wont let it haunt me, I wont let it win.
I'm not gonna ruminate or meditate on how it might have been.
I'm gonna release it, He's got the whole thing in his hands.
Maybe lately I started to resign,
So here it goes God only knows
It might just ease my mind.
I'm not gonna worry, I'm not gonna fret,
I'm just gonna wait and see and in between give thanks for what I get.
I'm not gonna worry, He's got the whole thing in his hands."

Comments

Popular Posts