The Theft





Hi there! Glad to have you stop by my blog!  I pray that the words God has prompted me to share are a help to your walk with Him today!


On a serious note - a theft has happened to me.  It has been happening for some time and at first I didn't realize it, and then I was in denial and now I realize that I have actually been allowing it!  Good grief.  "What has been stolen from you?!" you ask?  Well, some of my time, my thoughts, focus, and investment opportunities.  Sounds pretty serious doesn't it?  Yea. It really is.  I'm deciding to put a stop to it and install a theft security system - a very specific system since I actually know the thief!   The culprit is Social Media.  Now, you might groan or roll your eyes at reading that statement, and maybe you don't necessarily want to keep reading - but please stick with me just a little longer!  I'm not being a "debby downer" on social media - I'm actually really grateful for it!  But, I'm also soberly realizing how much moderation is needed in utilizing it!  

When I first signed up for Facebook, I used to have a really cool slide phone called the "Chocolate" (any of you remember that style? lol)  Anyhoo, it didn't have internet - just a couple of cool features like games and calling friends! Lol!  I would only get on Facebook, on the computer maybe for a few minutes after I clocked out at work and then on my laptop in the evening for a short while, but that was it.  It was like reading a newspaper.  I was more "present" everywhere I went throughout my day.  But now, with it and other media apps readily available on my phone at any given moment - social media has become a "fill" or "fix" for me and when it gets to that point - it's not healthy.  It's like if I was obsessed with a newspaper.  Imagine me walking into a store and reading it as I walk in.  Then occasionally opening it up while I'm in the store.  Then, when I'm out with friends, if there's a silent moment - whipping out my newspaper or when I'm in line at Chipotle - there I go again whipping it out.  If I'm in an awkward moment - I can just take out my "newspaper" and everything is "alright".  If I did that - I think I'd be called the crazy newspaper lady!  But in all reality - I kinda am acting like that and yet it's becoming more of an "acceptable behavior" these days since so many do it.  Interesting thought right?

My point is this - each one of us need to know what is a good media moderation for ourselves (it's different for each person) and set up a "security system" as to not allow media to become a "fix" or "fill" (it truly can be addicting) and a theft to our precious time in life.  Time to invest in those around us, time to be present, to meditate on truth and God's Word, time to be "still and know" that He is God, time to be in prayer, time to just even give our mind and eyes a break from "the scroll"!   I'm not cutting out social media all together, but I'm just wanting to use it wisely and not let it become a tool in which satan would love to distract me from Kingdom living.  I want my VISION to be focused on God first and most and I desire to be ever present to the valuable lives around me! 

"Be Thou my Vision"
  1. "Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
    Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art;
    Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
    Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.
  2. Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
    I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
    Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
    Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
  3. Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
    Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
    Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tow’r:
    Raise Thou me heav’nward, O Pow’r of my pow’r.
  4. Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
    Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
    Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
    High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.
  5. High King of Heaven, my victory won,
    May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heav’n’s Sun!
    Heart of my own heart, whate’er befall,
    Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all."

    "Unto thee lift I up mine eyes, O thou that dwellest in the heavens." -Psalm 123:1

    "30Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? 31Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day isthe evil thereof." - Matthew 6:33


    Blessings to you!!!  May God be your vision throughout the day and may you use social media wisely, be present, and live every moment for His Kingdom!!!!
    -Bri

Comments

Popular Posts