To Love and to Cherish


"9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another." -I John 4:9-11

Hello there friends!
Glad you "stopped by" my blog today and hope it blesses you deeply! :)


Wedding season is in full swing for sure!  I love attending and being in weddings!  Such a sacred, beautiful thing ordained by God to witness and be a part of!!  I'm attending a wedding in a few days, and in a week I'm in a wedding!  (I'm even listening to wedding instrumental music as I type this! *chill bumps inserted here!* lol! Seriously though, there's just something super special about music that celebrates a man and a woman joining in a covenant before God!!!) :)  

God brought to mind the powerful words of the wedding vows and I've been blessed thinking on them!  Two stood out in particular recently and hence the title of this post - "to love and to cherish"!  :)  

To Love: "warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion; an assurance of affection, unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another."  

To Cherish: "to hold dear: feel or show affection 
for: to keep or cultivate with care and affection: to entertain or harbor in the mind deeply and resolutely."  

The short descriptions above are some of the aspects of love and cherishing listed by the Webster dictionary, but love is infinitely more of course!  Such neat pictures those definitions paint in the mind though don't they?!  Love is a beautiful thing!  So grateful for it!

The main point of this post is simple! I just wanted to encourage you to love and cherish God first and foremost in your life!  I was thinking about the incredible responsibility, awesome seriousness and wonderful honor of speaking the words "I ______, take you ______, to be my wedded wife/husband.  To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish, forsaking all others, till death do us part.  I hereto pledge you my love and faithfulness."  I'm really looking forward to saying those words and committing/pledging my love and myself to a man who has the heart of God one day, but I was thinking too this week on how I need to really commit/pledge these words to God first and foremost!  When I really mean them to HIM, I'll be able to really mean them to my man! And the part that says, "till death do us part" is really "till death bring me to You!" when saying it to God! C.S. Lewis put it so perfectly in one of my most favorite of love quotes...

“To love you as I should, I must worship God as

 Creator. When I have learnt to love God better 

than my earthly dearest, I shall love my earthly 

dearest better than I do now. In so far as I learn to

 love my earthly dearest at the expense of God and

 instead of God, I shall be moving towards the 

state in which I shall not love my earthly dearest

at all. When first things are put first, second things 

are not suppressed but increased.”  -C.S. Lewis


The best way to love and cherish who you love and cherish is to love and cherish the Author of loving and cherishing - God Almighty!  ;) (how was that for a sentence?! LOL! )

Blessings to you dear one!
Seek God first and His righteousness and you will be very blessed indeed!!!! (and so will all those who know you!)
~Bri :)


Comments

Popular Posts