"Sticks and Stones" and the {Power of Words}

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in Thy sight, 
O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer!"
~Psalms 19:14~


Hello there! So glad to have you visit this post today!
I hope that your heart is encouraged by it! :)

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Ever hear that phrase? I agree with the part that says sticks and stones hurt, but I sure don't think that words don't!  Words are just so powerful!!!!!

I'm sure I don't even have to ask whether you've had words hurt you and also help you. We all experience that!  I honestly believe that we don't give words enough credit though for the important role of life that they play!  Just think - words are SO important that God put into the Bible in Proverbs 18:21 this statement of truth, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."  Wow.
That's some serious stuff right there people!!!!!!! :)  Some years ago as I was thinking on the truth of that verse, God gave me this application.

Speak LIFE to the spirit 
and
DEATH to the flesh!

Not death to the spirit
and 
life to the flesh.

Kinda crazy to think on how important our words are, isn't it?
Our words have the power (spoken and written) to influence for the good and for the bad, to minister or to tear down, to encourage worth or to destroy hope, and all shape future generations. Wowzers. 

I thought I'd share just two short examples of the power of words that I experienced recently.  One bad and one good.  I was at a store last week shopping for a birthday card and from a couple aisles over I hear this voice of a cute little girl, but what was coming out of her mouth was not pretty in the least.  Very loudly and dramatically she was taking the Lord's name in vane over and over and over.  Practically every couple of words that came out her little mouth was laced with my Beloved Savior's name, not spoken in respect or love.  It grieved me.  I thought, "Wow.  That precious little life must have heard the Lord's name misused maybe from a family member or even TV and she latched on to that and made it her own lifestyle even at a very young age. " Words are INCREDIBLY influential!  Use them wisely dear friends!

My second little example was just the other day at work.  A very short but sweet conversation with my Dad (aka my boss).  ;)

Dad to me: Sweet girl.
Me: It makes my day when you call me that!
Dad: It makes my day that you are that!

Grin.  Yeah.  My Dad used the words "sweet girl" to remind me of my worth to him and then spoke even more words of affirmation of who I am as His daughter and God's daughter!  Those words were like a big ole hug of love to me!  Speak those "big ole hug of love" words to your family - it truly is so important to life!!!!!  There's story after story I could tell of the destruction of words and of the life-giving power of words but I thought these two would do for this post! I'm sure you have many stories that you could share too!!!! We should get together and swap stories!!! ;)

But lastly and most importantly I wanted to type out the best wisdom concerning words ever to be read-God's Word!!!!!! Just think- God used words to create this world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhmazing! AND He gives us His Holy Word the Bible to know more of Who He is and who we are!!!!!!  "Pretty awesome", is putting it lightly!!!!!

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. (Ephesians 4:29)

But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. (Matthew 15:18)

There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health. (Proverbs 12:18)

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. (Matthew 12:36)

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones. (Proverbs 16:24)

A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit. (Proverbs 15:4)

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer. (Psalms 19:14)

Blessings to you to be wise with your words and to bless generations to come with how you use the power of your words!  Please The Lord in every way, in what you do, think and say!!!!!!! ;)
Cheering you on!!!!!
-Bri


Comments

Popular Posts